Saturday, August 15, 2009

I have McAfee Security Suite on my computer provided free from AOL. Is it true Mcafee is resource ho

Is there security that is not such a resource hog for antivirus?



I have McAfee Security Suite on my computer provided free from AOL. Is it true Mcafee is resource hog?norton antivirus



It's up to you to decide what's considered a resource hog, but here's an easy way to decide for yourself.



Open Task Manager.



Go to the processes tab. Sort the processes by name.



You should see several processes that start with either mc****** or mp****** grouped together. (On the test PC where I'm running McAfee, there are 13 processes.) Once you have them grouped together, look at the memory use for each process; if needed, open calc and add them up. On my test system, they're using between 80MB and 90MB of RAM, depending on the activity at any given time. If I'm actually doing something within McAfee, that can boost the usage over 100MB.



I have McAfee Security Suite on my computer provided free from AOL. Is it true Mcafee is resource hog?security



Yes, McAfee is a hog (though not as bad as norton) among other problems. I would suggest trying out AVG Antivirus. Check out free.grisoft.com for a free version of the antivirus. I've use them for a long time and have so far had no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment